Mercury is a chemical used in many types of lamps, including fluorescent and HID grow lights. Though mercury is considered a hazardous substance, it continues to be a popular element in light design, as it increases the efficiency and life expectancy of the bulb. LED technology is the only lighting option that is more efficient and longer lasting without the aid of mercury.
Are Lamps Containing Mercury Dangerous?
The mercury contained in a fluorescent or HID lamp will not harm you as long as it remains inside the lamp. If a bulb containing mercury breaks, however, the mercury will escape as a toxic vapor and powder. Exercise extreme caution when handling such lamps, and dispose of old lamps properly. You can also avoid the risk of mercury-related accidents altogether by choosing LED lights.
Get in touch with us!
Contact us for information on which lights are right for your application as well as free complete computerized light plans and grow consulting.
California LightWorks 7949 Deering Ave Canoga Park, CA 91304
(800) 575-3475, Inside USA (747) 444-3380, Outside USA